Tuesday, September 16, 2008

NYC V

The final day had come. We were split - kind of ready to come back home to normalcy, but we were also really enjoying the New York "life"! We still had somethings that we wanted to accomplish on this day, so we were off early to get started! Since we heard that the lines at the Empire State Building get extremely long during the day, we went there first. All I can say is thank goodness we went early, and thank goodness we bought our tickets online. The lines were already REALLY long! Even with prepaid tickets toward the end we still had to wait in line. It was worth it though because the views from the 86th floor are so amazing! It was really cool to actually get a feel for how everything is laid out since you can't see a thing around all the huge buildings when you are on the ground walking around! We took lots of pictures and then headed back down.

We then walked around the area there - 34th Street where the big Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade is held each year, saw the HUGE Macy's store (we did not go in though), went to Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. By this time is was around noon and we need to be getting to the airport around 4:30 or 5:00. So the debate was on for what we wanted to make sure we saw. The decision ended up being two bakeries, John Lennon's apartment, Strawberry Fields in Central Park and then to just walk around our hotel and get some last minute souvenirs.

The walk to John Lennon's apartment where he was shot, was one of our favorites. We were in a more residential area, so we got to experience more of where a typical New Yorker lives. Also the bakeries that I wanted to go to where very conveniently located on the way. They were the Buttercup Bake Shop and Levain bakery. The cupcakes at the Buttercup Bake Shop where of course delicious. We decided to try three of them b/c the decision was so hard (I promise that we made ourselves only sample and then throw the rest away! This was our lunch!) the German Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Jelly, and I can't seem to remember the last one. The best part about the bakery was their slogan, "Life is uncertain, eat dessert first." How perfectly does that fit us! hahaha!!! We then began our walk towards the apartment. As most of you know Sam is a HUGE Beatles fan (I mean, if we had to have a song in our wedding, you know he must LOVE them). We found the apartment and Sam had to take many pictures and "have a moment"! It was crazy though b/c still to this day they have to have this place secure with guards and gates. There was also a crazy man with his crazy hippy van parked right out front protesting the shooting. I just thought that was crazy after so many years. The memorial in Central Park and Strawberry Fields was really cool though and was way worth the long walk.

After spending sometime at Central Park we headed to the next bakery (I know, we are pigs...remember this is still "lunch"). It was the Levain Bakery. They are world famous for their chocolate chip cookies and that's pretty much all they sell. The bakery was just in a basement of an apartment building, but it was packed! The cookies were absolutely HUGE! Its like the size of a biscuit/pancake. I have always heard about these cookies, but I just did not realize how big and thick they would actually be. I should have taken a picture, but I think we were getting pretty pictured out by this time! I can honestly say that it was the BEST cookie I have ever tasted (and I have tasted A LOT of cookies...aka: cookie monster!). No wonder everyone is always trying to recreate these cookies!

By this time we decided that our legs just could not take any more and that we really didn't have enough time to try to take something else on. So we took the subway back near the hotel, walked around, and had dinner at Angelo's Pizza (Its the pizza joint above where the David Letterman Show is filmed). It was a good last New York meal, and it was to a taxi to get back to the airport.
We got to see pretty much everything we set out to see. We did everything on the itinerary and more. The things we wish we would have done: more Broadway, the US Open, museums, Liberty Island, and Ellis Island. That's about it; pretty short list! I hope you enjoyed taking a walk back with us on our vacation! Here are some pictures!

Empire State Building at night

The view from the top! John Lennon's apartment building

Strawberry Fields in Central Park

John Lennon Memorial

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was fun! Thanks for taking the time to post everything that you guys did... If I ever make a trip up to NYC, I'll definitely have to use your blog as a reference to hit up the good food there!

Anonymous said...

FYI, Yoko Ono still lives in the building and actually owns and rents out a good portion of the rest building. I'm sure there are probably other famous people in that building as well. Hence, all the security. Just up the street are the buildings where Seinfeld, Regis, and Madonna live. Just some more info for you!

The Metz's said...

Great pictures and stories! Thanks for sharing! It looks like yall had a great time! Makes me want to go back!

Amy Renay said...

Mandy, I have been stalking your blog now for some time. I am a friend of Ashley's and I am actually working for Brad now. I have 2 reasons to finally comment: (1) I am so jealous of your recent trip to my favorite place in the world and have loved seeing your pictures and finding new places to visit the next time I go to NYC. (2) I am amazed by your cookies and was wondering if your cookies can be shipped to Amarillo and if so how far in advance I would need to place an order? I am hosting a baby shower on Sat. Oct. 4th. You can email me at amy.bunch@hillsidewired.com

Thank you so much.

Connie Miles said...

Mandy - I loved every minute of your NYC trip!! I have always wanted to go there - someday I will! Looks like you had a really great itinerary - you squeezed so much into the time you had there. Thanks so much for sharing it with us - loved the photos and all the details!!