HISTORY LESSON: Construction of the bridge started in 1870 and was completed THIRTEEN years later in 1883. On completion, it was the largest suspension bridge in the world and the first steel-wire suspension bridge. It's pretty amazing that without all the technology that we have today, that they were still able to accomplish something of this magnitude. If you have not taken this walk, I recommend it!
After the walk we made our way over to Lower Manhattan and checked out the American Stock Exchange, Wall Street, the New York Stock Exchange, the Federal Hall National Memorial (where George Washington's inauguration was held on the steps in 1789), St. Paul's church (Built in the 1760s. It is the oldest public building in continuous use. This is the church that George Washington attended and he still has his own pew.), Trinity Church (The original was built in 1699 & was NY first church. It was destroyed by a fire and rebuilt in 1846. This is also the church where Alexander Hamilton's grave is located), and then ended at the 9-11 Tribute Center. It really surprised me that after 8 years since the 9-11 tragedy there is still a huge hole in the ground and no real memorial. We were told that the reason why is because of major debate on what to do, along with the budget being way to high. They did have a small Tribute Center which is attached to the Ladder 10 Fire Station across from the site. It really took us back to that day and brought back all the feelings that we experienced as a country. It also made the whole thing more real for me actually. Since we were so far from where the tragedy actually happened, it has always been hard to truly relate. It just blew us away seeing the things in the center and seeing pictures of the many people who were lost that day.
We stopped for a quick lunch of PIZZA and then decided to hike over to Battery Park. We took a stroll through the park, sat on a bench and watched the tour boats head out toward Liberty and Ellis Island, and then decided that we could barely move anymore and really needed a nap! A nap! I know, disappointing isn't it!!! We had a good reason though, LION KING was this evening and we did not want to be tired. It was well worth the one hour we took out of our day!
So after our nap and a nice dinner at an Italian place on 9th, we headed over to Minskoff Theater where we saw the Lion King! AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!!! We loved every minute of it and were just blown away by the costumes! Honestly at the beginning of the show during the first song I did not stop smiling one time. After like 15 minutes I "came back to life" and realized how ridiculous I must have looked. After the show we just kept saying, why are we not going to a show EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!!! We will defiantly be back for more!
I tried to keep this day shorter (pretty unsuccessfully), but here are some pictures from the day!
Brooklyn Bridge
Walking the bridge

View of NYC from the bridge

View from City Hall of the Brookley Bridge that we just walked

New York Stock Exchange

NYSE and Wall St.

Trinity Church
Battery Park
(how funny is this!!! I made Sam go over there to take a picture with Lady Liberty and then "she" just started putting on this stuff on him! After I took the picture "he" said, that will be $5!!!! We were scammed!!!!) 

9-11 Tribute Center 

Steve's Pizza for Lunch
(I am the one on the left side of the bench reading the map. This is just seconds before a bird poops all down the middle of my dress!!! NOT JOKING!) 

The view of Times Squre on a Friday night from the Minskoff Theater - look at all the millions of people!




3 comments:
It looks like you guys had so much fun! I can't wait to see more pictures!
Great pictures!! Looks like so much fun!!
and where do you go to make that cute header on your page?
I couldn't be more jealous of your vacation. Lucky ducks! I've enjoyed seeing the pictures.
Post a Comment