Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Holes, Trenches, French Drains!!!

As I am approaching my house after my women's bible study on Monday night I realize that my husband is outside working on the yard. This is not surprising considering, like I have mentioned before, that he is OBSESSED with our yard right now. We are having some problems with weeds this year because it seems that the previous owns did not do what they were suppose to do during winter right before they moved (something about a winterizing the yard, beats me!). Due to their irresponsibility, Sam has been outside working every day and every night. Most nights though he ends up working until dark, but not on Monday night. NOPE, he decided that the darkness was not going to stop him!!! He got his work light out there and just kept working. I can't imagine what the neighbors must me thinking - dumb kids!!!! As I get closer though I realize that Sam is just not working on the weeds, he is digging HOLES in our front yard!!!! We have noticed some major drainage problems with these past storms, so he was going to put an end to this. Back to the HOLES: Sam would say they are "trenches" and that they are for a "french drain" that he is making (I have NO idea what that means). But these "trenches" start in my flowerbed next to the front door, go out to the middle of the yard, and then turn to go toward the side of the house. So a pretty big "TRENCH". I am slightly in panic mode because they are predicting rain in the next few days, and even worse, I am having a shower at my house on Saturday night. I can just see it, "Hello, welcome to my house. Watch out for the huge piles of dirt, oh don't trip crawling to my front door in your high heels!!!"

Well my husband knew all this, so he did what any normal husband would do...stayed up until the middle of the night last night to finish!!!! I feel horrible for him because he got no sleep last night, but by the looks of things this morning, we are almost back to normal. Thanks Sam. I was worried, but when I really started thinking about it I thought - I really have nothing to worry about b/c of the simple fact that he is so obsessed with yard; there is no way he would do anything to ruin it. So lets just cross our fingers that this "french drain" works and that our grass grows back to normal and that the mountainous mounds of mud will be gone from my front porch before Saturday evening!!!

My Faithful Digger
(sorry about the quality of the picture. Keep in mind that it was night time and I had a huge work light shinning at me)



6 comments:

Micahl said...

mandy, you crack me up! I'm sure Sam will do a great job! I think I owe you a call, I'm so sorry I was sick the week before last and April 15th kept me realllly busy at work. But I really want to have a sprink cookie day if you are up for it! I even organized my "cookie" making things this past weekend, and I have several flower cookie cutters that I want to use!

Sammy said...

Boo yeah

Meg said...

Sam, I thought your original idea was great. What happened? You are a hard worker!

Ingram Gang said...

I have faith in Sammy. He seems to always pull it out. I will be anxious to see how they work when the rains come!
I wish yard work were contagious. If so, I would let Brad come visit Sam for the weekend. We could totally use a little lawn tlc.

Sammy said...

This was an even better idea!

Anonymous said...

haha! you really made me laugh when I was reading this one....this is so something chris would do and we actually need to do it on one side of our yard! maybe he will recruit sam! see you sunday!