Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Rocky Mountian High - Colorado

We spent last week in Colorado and it was fabulous! The mountains are one of our most favorite places to be and where we have some of our best memories (it might also be the place this relationship started over 6 years ago). The 9 hour drive to Durango was exhausting (and I was just riding), but well worth it. We stayed at the ski resort, but also spent a lot of time in Durango and Silverton. I am not much for camping out, but love living up the outdoors during the day! (that's my kind of camping...hotel, showers, hot food, and a warm bed at night, and nature during the day!) Sam and his dad spent a good portion of the trip fly fishing. They had a tough start, but by the end were catching a lot! Sam just loves the time he gets to spend with his dad out in the middle of no were trying to find the "best" spot on the river! I don't join in on these trips much (usually b/c somehow I end up catching more fish...here's my technique - cast, then sit in a chair and read my book until I feel the pole move, then yell at Sam to come over b/c there is NO way I am touching a fish and getting the hook out of its mouth...now that's fishing!) Anyways, besides fishing we mountain biked (I might have had to walk some due to the fact that this was the steepest, rockiest trail I have EVER been on, plus I was using a boy bike!), went jeeping in Silverton, rode the Alpine slides (so fun!), shopped in the fun shops, and watched the best firework show I have ever experienced. I would totally recommend going to the mountains at least once on the 4th. Watching them in the valley and having the sound echo around the mountain was a really neat experience!
The whole reason we went to CO was to celebrate Sam's grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary. We got some bad news before we went though and found out that nan and gramps were not going to be able to go due to health reasons. We were all very saddened, but even though they were not able to go, we did get to spend some time with Sam's family from AZ. This included 7 kids under the age of 8 and three more on the way!!! Needless to say we had a great time with the kids and got to experience lift with lots of kids! The second day we were there we got some more bad news that Sam's aunt had to leave early due to health reasons and the pain she was in! Even though we were missing some people, we still had a great time. I really hope we do it again one day. Here is a glimpse of our fun (there's a lot - sorry):

The View from the top


Before we went mountain biking

Sam getting ready to do the slides


The Alpine Slides (so fun!)


Rob and Reed racing Sam


Little Reed

Melissa and Amy
Sam & Rob on the Jeep trail

A View on the Jeep trail
Sam and I in front a mini waterfall (red,white, and blue)

Greg & April before the fireworks

Melissa, Logan, and Sam and I ready for the fireworks
The fireworks - not the best pic, but you can see the mountains behind them
I would also ask for your prayers once again. Awhile back I mentioned that my friend, Megan's, dad was on the list for a kidney transplant. He did not end up receiving that kidney, but I found out today that he will finally being receiving a kidney TODAY. So please pray this afternoon that the surgery would go well and that the Lord would bless Ralph with this new kidney. Please also pray for Megan and her family as they travel to Dallas to be with Ralph. Thanks much!

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Nice hat sammy. I like the bulked-up jeep pic too.

Connie Miles said...

Mandy & Sam - We had a GREAT time and loved getting to see you. Wish it could have been longer!! Mandy - thanks so much for the DEE-lish and BEE-U-T-Ful 4th O July cookies!! That really made the holiday special! I'm so glad you guys got to see the fireworks in Silverton. I was really looking forward to that but maybe I'll get to see them next year. Love you both!
~Connie

Sammy said...

Hahah yeah, I tried to blow up for that one.

Melis said...

It was so beautiful up there! And we sure enjoyed spending time with y'all!

I LOVE that picture of the Reedy! It's him to a "T" & instantly brings a smile to my face! Thanks for capturing some fabulous pix for us! Love you guys!

amy said...

you took some awesome pics! thanks for sharing them. it was fun up there- we do wish we could have spent more time with all of you. we LOVED your cookies!! thanks for making them and bringing them along! my kids are still talking about them. :)
i pray all goes well with your friend's dad.