Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Dad

Did you know that prostate cancer is the second most common type of cancer among men in the Untied States (only skin cancer being more common); did you know that prostate cancer affects one in six men; did you know that out of every three men who are diagnosed with cancer each year, one is diagnosed with prostate cancer; did you know that more than 186,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer this year, and more than 28,500 will die. This is serious stuff!

No one knows the exact cause of prostate cancer. Doctors often cannot explain why one man develops prostate cancer and another does not. Scientists are studying prostate cancer to find out more about its causes and are looking for better ways to treat it. That is the reason I am writing this post. The Prostate Cancer Foundation is doing their annual Father's Day drive to help raise money to help find a cure and to find better ways to treat this cancer. Between June 5th - June 15th they are trying to raise at least $250,000. They are doing this through general donations at the following link: http://www.prostatecancerfoundation.org/site/c.itIWK2OSG/b.4096795/k.4A3B/Hit_a_Home_Run_for_Dad.htm?utm_source=grizzard&utm_medium=homepage%2Blink&utm_campaign=hp%2Bmay%2B08%2Bappeal and through The Home Run Challenge. The Home Run Challenge is where you can designate a certain amount of money to be donated to this cause between those dates for every home run hit during designated Major League Baseball Games (see schedule). To help you get an idea of what your total donation might be, there were 130 hit during this time last year. You can go to this link to set up your pledge: https://www.kintera.org/site/apps/ka/sd/donor.asp?c=ikIULaMWJvE&b=2639971&en=bpJCLUOtF4ILJRPoHaIQJ6MAI7IDIVNEKfJMKYPwFhK1E

This is a cause that is near to my heart because my family was affected by this in 2005 when my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer. We were lucky though because my dad was getting checked out early due to his family history and they were able to catch his cancer at a very early stage. He was able to have surgery to have the cancer removed rather than go through major treatment. I think too many people think this type of cancer is not a big deal because it is so common, but based on the statics I shared above, we all need to be aware. This was a hard and scary time for my family and I want to do all that I can to keep anyone else from having to endure that pain.

My dad was a fighter though and did not allow this to get him down. I was so proud to watch my dad go this difficult time of knowing he had cancer and then to endure a difficult surgery. It was not an easy time, but he never gave up and always tried to keep an up beat spirit. About one year later he was fully healed and competing in his first triathlon. Since then he has competed in several triathlons and bikes races. He took a step to take care of his body and to prove to himself that he could overcome this obstacle. (You can go to this link: http://www.amarillo.com/stories/030807/fea_6894771.shtml to read more about his overcoming prostate cancer and his races).

As Father's Day nears I am reminded at how much I love my dad and how we were so blessed to have him survive being affected by prostate cancer. I encourage you to push each of the men in your lives to get checked for this cancer because you never know who might be affected, we never imagine it would be our family. I would also ask that if you can and are willing to donate to this cause with the links I provided above.

3 comments:

Meg said...

You dad is an ironman! We are all glad that he beat the cancer! He truly inspires me.

Here's an idea.....
You swim, he'll bike and I'll run!

Ingram Gang said...

Your dad has been an inspiration to MANY, me included.
I think what you wrote is beautiful and a great resource for others.
Way to go!!!

Elaine said...

Glad your dad is doing well. We went through it with Todd's dad and my mom's friend in the past 2 years.